Monday, April 9, 2007

What's up with Walmart and Target now?



My daily surfing of the web brought me to this strange story. The headline

Wal-Mart and Target Spy on Their Employees
Here is link to full article from Alternet.

With Target and Wal-Mart acting as though they are entitled to spy on, stalk and imprison their own employees, we are on the road to a full-scale workplace dictatorship.
The article lists several intrusive business practices that the companies do to their employees. For example, Justin Kenward, who worked at a Target store in Chino, CA for three years, wrote about his six hour interrogation in 2003, he was wrongfully accused of stealing, but you would think 6 hours is a bit much. It's amazing and I just learned myself that Walmart employs it's own security agency and espionage system that damn near rivals our government's.

It's a sad state of affairs when employees are constantly losing their rights, being spied on, not trusted, and it's especially sad that a lot of our jobs have moved overseas for cheap labor. So we are slowly being stuck with these "dictator"-like companies or unemployment.

4 comments:

JustThoughts said...

Used to work for Wal-Mart, and it doesn't surprise me at all. I tell everybody that the MINUTE they pull you into that back room, you ask for an attorney. I would.

Target, that sort of surprises me, although nothing much in retail surprises me after being in it for 7 years now.

Laurie Anne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Laurie Anne said...

Weird and creepy. Very 1984.

justintk said...

Originally that article was titled "Big Box Brother." It was also published in Barbara Ehrenreich's book, "This Land Is Their Land: Reports from a Divided Nation." It was an interesting time in my life, and I think you for posting this blog. It's important that people know about it.