Monday, November 2, 2009

Acer Aspire 5536-5142

Ordered this laptop the Acer Aspire 5536-5142 from Newegg last week. It came in today, took couple days due to weekend and all. But today I got the laptop plus my wireless linksys router came in also to let me connect the laptop online by wireless.

For the price is was a great deal at the time of this post the price on the laptop was originally $599.99 but newegg is offering $150.00 off and free shipping on top of that making this laptop a wondering deal at $449.99.

It does not come with any install or recovery discs but I was aware of that by doing little research online. But a tip I found was to have some blank DVD's ready because you will make your own recovery discs and application/driver disc. Total discs required for this laptop straight out of the box was 3 for the Acer recovery and 1 for application & driver disc. Using Acer's Erecovery program it's very simple to start up it will offer 2 option a system recovery or application & drivers. Of course you will probably do both. The system recovery used 3 blank dvd's and 1 for the driver disc.

The laptop itself is very nice looking, has a gloss finish on the case and screen. I would have preferred a matte finish on the screen, but it's not too bad although I haven't tested it outside in brighter conditions just yet. The pc itself is really nice and responsive. For what I would label a medium level laptop it really does the job nicely.

Some stats on this thing for number crunching...

Brand: Acer
Series: Aspire
Model: AS5536-5142
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
CPU: AMD Athlon X2 QL-65(2.10GHz)
RAM: 4GB DDR2
HDD: 320GB
Vid Card: ATI Radeon HD 3200
Screen size: 15.6"
Resolution: 1366 x 768
USB: 4 (2 on left, 2 on right)
Output: VGA output / HDMI output
Card Reader: Multi-in-1 Digital Media Card Reader (SD, MMC, MS, MS PRO, xD)
Optical Drive: DVD Super Multi

8X DVD-Super Multi Double-Layer Drive
Read max: 24X CD-ROM, 24X CD-R, 24X CD-RW, 8X DVD-ROM, 8X DVD-R, 8X DVD+R, 8X DVD-ROM double-layer (DL), 6X DVD-R (DL), 6X DVD+R (DL), 6X DVD-RW, 6X DVD+RW, 5X DVD-RAM
Write max: 24X CD-R, 16X CD-RW, 8X DVD-R, 8X DVD+R, 4X DVD-R double-layer (DL), 4X DVD+R (DL), 6X DVD-RW, 8X DVD+RW, 5X DVD-RAM


Opening Windows Experience for the ratings, the ratings are not surprising for a mid level laptop. And with some tweaking/etc could probably squeeze some higher numbers.

Windows 7 Experience ratings
acer aspire 5536 ratings in windows 7









Windows 7 Experience ratings after removing some "bloatware" and unnecessary programs running in the background. Was able to get a boost on the Processor score. Haven't done any video card tweaks as of yet.










Haven't done any real game testing just yet. I'll update as I get more information. It's not really a gaming laptop although searching youtube for this laptop and vid card I have seen some gaming such as left4dead and such being played on it. I did install Second Life but it was pretty laggy with it, stats only showed 15 frames per second but I haven't done any tweaking on things yet so I'll have to update that when I get to it.

Acer Aspire 5536-5142
Acer Aspire 5536-5142








Left View

Acer Aspire 5536-5142 left









Right View
Acer Aspire 5536-5142 right








Package contains
Acer Aspire 5536-5142 package









Update: Thought I would update this post with little bit of gaming news. I have been able to play Eve Online on this laptop with great success. With graphic settings on low I get 40 to 50 frames per second while docked in station. And flying in space I get 40-70 frames per second. 70 frames per second topping out when doing mundane tasks such as mining. So far that is the only game I have installed on it.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm having a big problem with this computer. Every time I need try to connect for 5 times before I access my wireless network. In the mean while the router restart every time I trying to connect. This is very annoying.
Do you have (or heard about) the same problem?
The router I have is: netcomm nb6plus4w.

Eric said...

If the router is restarting sounds like it may have a problem, not the computer.

Can try updating the firmware for the router. Or try changing security, if using WEP try changing to WPA-PSK and see if the same thing happens.

Anonymous said...

Hey, can you look at your Devices screen and tell me what the model numbers of your LAN, Bluetooth and REALTEK hardware are? Acer doesn't publish these in any specs I've found and I need to hunt for the XP 64 version drivers.

Eric said...

for Lan the wifi is Atheros AR5B91 Wireless Network Adapter

and the wired 10/100/1000 is Broadcom Netlink Gigabit Ethernet

for the Realtek audio it don't say much but it's listed as Realtek High Definition Audio Driver version 6.0.1.5911 and next to is on the device manager is ATI High Definition Audio Device Driver version 5.0.7000.4

There is no bluetooth on the 5536-5142 even though there is a bluetooth button, there is no device listed in the manager and pressing the button just shows a red X on screen.

Hope this helps, let me know I can help out with any more info

LeeAnn said...

Eric, I have said it before, and I will say it again.. youre a genius.. glad to have you as my friend :)

Anonymous said...

Hey, Thanks so much for the device info you posted for me yesterday, I really appreciate it!

cheap computers said...

The laptop itself is very nice looking, has a gloss finish on the case and screen.

Trent said...

Hello.
I bought the Acer Aspire 5536-5142 also from Newegg for Christmas. The laptop is awesome and I am very happy with it.
I decided to get rid of the Windows 7 that came preloaded with and install XP Pro which I think is a better OS. Windows 7 is a much better looking OS with lots of amenities but what I really care for is speed and functionality. So I installed XP Pro after changing a BIOS setting for the HD and everything went smooth. I got the XP Pro drivers for the devices from the Acer site and installed them.
Now I have 2 little problems and one big problem:
1. The audio volume buttons don't work.
2. System Properties is showing only half of the processors speed and half of the installed memory.
3. Windows is not shutting down completely. It hangs on the last screen when it says "Windows is shutting down..." and I doesn't go any further. It stops right there and it can be like that forever. I have to press the power button every time to shut the laptop down.
Do you have any ideas that could help me get this wonderful machine running XP without trouble?
Thanks in advance.

Eric said...

Hrmm, Well about the volume buttons it is supposed to be controlled by application called 'Launch Manager'

you can try going here.

http://gd.panam.acer.com/home/
then choose Notebook -> Aspire -> Aspire 5536 Then in the new menu select the tab labeled Application

Then download the program called Launch Manager and install it. That should give you control of those buttons.

As for the cpu and memory not showing correct, you may need the AMD xp patch. Go to this website

http://komku.blogspot.com/2009/05/acer-aspire-5536-5536g-xp-vista-drivers.html

scroll down the page you should see all the xp drivers for the acer 5536. One will be labeled

CPU AMD 1.3.2.0 XP
Acer Aspire 5536 5536G Windows XP Driver

Also there are other xp drivers on that site for the 5536 if you don't use Windows 7.

hopefully that helps ya out some.

Trent said...

Eric you are the kindest guy.
I'll do what you're recommending.
I think I found out what's causing the trouble with the shutdown issue. I believe is the webcam and its driver. I did uninstall the driver and Windows did shutdown as is supposed to be. But when I turned the laptop back on the driver loaded itself again and the computer did not shutdown. Now I completely disabled the camera thru Device Manager and the machine is shutting down fine.
Do you think the fact that I don't have XP SP3 has something to do with these issues? I only have XP Pro SP2.
Thank you Eric for all you do for us dummies.
Take care.

Eric said...

You can try removing the device from device manager, then try reinstalling the driver.

The strange part, and one I'm not too sure of is on the acer driver site there are 2 different webcam drivers listed. Also same goes for the XP drivers.

So you may want to try them both or one or the other.

the link to the easy to get xp drivers on that site I listed previously. Go to
http://komku.blogspot.com/2009/05/acer-aspire-5536-5536g-xp-vista-drivers.html

Scroll down you will see 2 webcam drivers listed.

Camera Chicony 5.8.49001.2 XP (x86)
Acer Aspire 5536 5536G Windows XP Driver

and

Camera Suyin 5.8.48.500 XP (x86)
Acer Aspire 5536 5536G Windows XP Driver

I'm a bit confused about which is which cause on my laptop I'm running windows 7 and in the device manager the webcam is only listed as Video Webcam, and when I click on properties it says the same, no actual model/brand listing.

But give those 2 a try and see if that helps. If not you may want to try emailing Acer tech support, they reply pretty quickly I emailed them myself about info on battery upgrade for this model and got reply same day.

You can get to the email tech support for acer going to http://support.acer.com/email.aspx

Hopefully that helps

Trent said...

Eric I'll tell you what I did and I hope it may help anybody who wants to run the laptop with XP Pro. Before loading any drivers Windows was showing the right CPU speed and half of the memory. After I loaded the AMD CPU driver System Properties showed half of the CPU speed and half of the memory installed. So I decided not to load the AMD CPU driver.
For the shutdown issue the only way to correct it was not to load any camera driver, neither Chicony nor Suyin. By the way, the day before yesterday when I was trying to figure what was causing the laptop not to shut down I noticed that after loading the Chicony Camera Driver it appeared in Device Manager that the webcam was a Sonix kind of camera. Figure this out! Well then its better just to leave the Microsoft driver there and so far it seems the camera is working fine and the machine is shutting down without any problem.
I would like to hear your input in this, if this settings may affect performance in any way.
Thank you Eric.

Eric said...

Glad ya got it going, if it's now reporting all correct values for ram and cpu, check your device managers and if there are no question marks for devices without drivers then you should be good to go.