Sony just doesn't seem to learn that Jailbreaks have been ruled legal for the mobile phone world and will soon be ruled legal for the console world as well.
"Sony is threatening to sue anybody posting or 'distributing' the first full-fledged jailbreak code for the 4-year-old PlayStation 3 gaming console. What's more, the company is demanding that a federal judge order Google to surrender the IP addresses and other identifying information (PDF) of those who have viewed or commented about the jailbreak video on a private YouTube page. The game maker is also demanding that Twitter provide the identities of a host of hackers who first unveiled a limited version of the hack in December."
The Jailbreak itself is all over the net and it's far too late to try and put the proverbial genie back in the bottle.
A quick search on bing, google, yahoo and others all come up with easy instructions and the link to the ps3 jailbreak (3.55)
Links to the 3.55 Jailbreak
How to Jailbreak PlayStation 3 on 3.55
(NOTE: Must already be on OFW 3.55)
1. Copy PS3 folder to a USB.
2. On PS3, Go to Network Settings and DISABLE Internet Connection.
3. Plug in USB and go to System Update> via Storage Media
4. Select OK
5. After installation, turn PS3 back on and you should have an *Install Package Files folder under GAME
6. (optional) Select Install Package Files and install the test.pkg. you should see the image above.
7. You can now ENABLE Internet connection. PSN works with no problems.
This is the first step. Within a few days or weeks there should be Homebrew apps such as Emulators and what not to enjoy. Backups do not work as of yet but def in the near future.
Big thanks to Geohot for making all of this possible
And that's all there is to it. Multiple copies everywhere just 1 search engine search away.